Wednesday, January 6, 2010

Stone Brewing - Oaked Arrogant Bastard Ale


Although I have reviewed a few Stone brews in the past (and for the record I think they are one of the best around), I have been putting off reviewing Arrogant Bastard. I really don't think it is that great and it certainly does not deserve the attention it gets. Good marketing does not equal good beer. I know your face is turning red right now and it is really apparent against your dumbass black Arrogant Bastard hoodie (which you think is the coolest fucking article of clothing in the world) but really the beer is not that great. Don't fool yourself. Enter Oaked Arrogant Bastard. I really, really like this beer. The oakiness is totally an undertone which is disappointing compared to other breweries' oaked beer but at least I like Arrogant Bastard now. I wish the oak was more in your face but I guess you have to take what you can get. It still does not deserve the name though. 4.25 out of 5. Drink it.

4 comments:

Beer Drinker said...

Yep, lots of hype and marketing, but it is a pretty good beer. I reviewed the Double Bastard a few days ago and thought it was better than this one. No oak in it though.

Cooking Asshole said...

I will have to keep my eye open for that one. I don't think I have seen the double bastard...but also I have not been looking.

Beer Drinker said...

At the bottom of this post, click the thumbnail and you will see the 22 ounce bottle in giant form.

http://www.dailybeerreview.com/2010/01/double-bastard-ale.html

Cooking Asshole said...

Nice! Thanks for the reference point.