Sunday, February 14, 2010

Maui Brewing Company - Big Swell IPA

So I have photographic evidence of this awesome shit I made the other night but my woman left town with my baby and my camera and will not be home until this evening. Therefore, this awesome meal will have to wait. Until then, here is a beer review to satisfy you. Let's begin:

This beer cost me $10 for a six pack, of cans. Needless to say I went into it with high expectations. If I were on vacation in Maui and I found this beer, or God forbid the brewery itself, I would be in Heaven. Paying $10 for a six-pack in Portland, Oregon? Fuck you. I know shipping costs are expensive but you are wasting your time. While it is a very good beer in its own right, it does not come close to challenging the IPAs of the PacNW or even the lesser San Diego. I am happy with my Big Swell, but not for $10. You need to figure something out, Maui Brewing Co., because you will not be successful in Oregon unless you price to the market. Oh, by the way, Caldera blows you out of the fucking water. 3 out of 5. Don't drink it in Oregon.

10 comments:

Beer Drinker said...

Cans are good for the beach or concrete pool deck. They could make a killing there!

Cooking Asshole said...

Exactly, just not in Portland...

Anonymous said...

CoCoNut Porter is the ONLY Maui Brewing Co. beer worth buying in Portland. In cans, bottles, mason jars, or otherwise.

-Sláinte Mhaith

Cooking Asshole said...

Is it just a regular porter or does it have that coconut shit in it?

Anonymous said...

Coconut shit. Nicely done though.

-Sláinte Mhaith

Cooking Asshole said...

Very funny asshole! I have one for you too: http://www.amishrakefight.org/gfy/

I be that would be good.

crackedmachine said...

Don't drink it here, but if you ever find yourself in Hawai'i, that's pretty much the best beer you'll have and you'll be fucking thankful for it. And it costs just as much, if not more, in Hawai'i.

Cooking Asshole said...

Right on...I would be happy if I found this there!

AJ said...

Just curious as to where you found the Big Swell in PDX. Beermongers has the Porter, but I've never seen the IPA up here. Fond memories of this beer.....

Cooking Asshole said...

I got it at the arbor lodge new seasons but I think the hop and vine on killingsworth has it too.