Friday, January 28, 2011

Yellowtail Snapper

I found a local fish market today and the call of the Sirens was too strong to resist. The forceful hand of fate pushed me through the door and I ended up finding this beautiful specimen:



It was labeled as red snapper and priced relatively low. Most of what is sold as red snapper is not actually red snapper but some crappier cheaper snapper which store owners use to rip you the fuck off. I know you are a sucker mark so I figured I would explain that to you. This is one of the many reasons I prefer to purchase my fish whole. I immediately recognized that this fish is not a red snapper, obviously, but rather it is a yellowtail snapper which is far superior. Score.


Always inspect your fish. When purchasing whole fresh fish there are many different areas to check out but the eye is a good place to start. If the eye looks all jacked up, it's probably old or mishandled. If the eye is staring into your soul and despondently questioning why it's vibrant life was cut short, it's fresh and ready to eat.

I cooked this guy whole but my pictures turned out like shit, which is surprising because I'm basically the best food photographer in the history of the known universe. I decided to pass on the mango salsas and elaborate stuffings for something simpler so I could experience the true flavor of my prized catch.

1.5lb Whole Yellowtail Snapper, scaled/gutted/gilled
1/2 Jalapeno, minced
1/2 Small White Onion, minced
1 Large Clove of Garlic, minced
1/2tsp Cumin
Sea Salt
1 Lime, juiced
Vegetable Oil, a small splash
Cilantro, for garnish


Mix everything but the cilantro in a small bowl. Shove it inside your fish. Place a large piece of aluminum foil on a baking sheet, brush the whole thing with more oil, and sprinkle more sea salt all over. Place your fish down, wrap it up, and toss it in a 350 degree oven for 40 minutes. Let it sit in the foil for another 7 minutes after you pull it from the oven. Garnish with cilantro. Eat it.

5 comments:

GetTheShovel said...

How do you squirt 1/2 tsp of cum in a spoon?

Cooking Asshole said...

Consult this website:

http://www.cookingwithcum.com/

Yes, it's for real.

Doug Goff said...

Just when I think I've seen everything you share the cookingwithcum website. The fuck is wrong with some people?!?!

Kat said...

You know you love it Doug LOL, CA I could never make this dish the fish with the heads on them creep me the fuck out

PussDaddy said...

OMG I swear that thing just sang "Don't Worry Be Happy"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Big_Mouth_Billy_Bass

PD